All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Aspen Baker had an abortion at the age of twenty-four, she felt caught between the warring pro-life and pro-choice factions, with safe space to share her conflicted feelings. In this hopeful and moving book, Baker describes how she and Exhale, the organization she cofounded, developed their pro-voice philosophy and a set of tools that enable anyone to have respectful, compassionate exchanges about even the most contentious topics. Initially distrusted by both sides, Exhale w receives postabortion referrals from pro-life and pro-choice organizations. Baker examines the history of the abortion debate, identifying the mistakes and misunderstandings that have led us to the current painful divide. She shares how Exhale discovered creative ways to help women and men share their feelings about abortion, such as starting a postabortion telephone service and piloting a nationwide story-sharing tour led by women who'd had abortions. Thanks to Baker's invative ideas and the trendsetting work of Exhale, the culture around abortion is changing. Pro-voice can be adopted by anyone interested in dialogue rather than dogma. Peace, in this perspective, isn't a world without fighting or conflict but one where conflict can be engaged in-fiercely and directly-without dehumanizing ourselves or our opponents. Our world is full of gray areas. It's vital we learn practices like pro-voice to help us move from paralysis to progress.
- Author BiographyAspen Baker is the founder and executive director of Exhale. She was a finalist for the 2014 American Express NGen Leadership Award; was named a fun, fearless female by Cosmopolitan in 2013; and was awarded a GerbodeProfessional Development Fellowship in 2012. She has been featured by media outlets across the country, including CNN Headline News, Fox National News, Ladies Home Journal, the New York Times, National Public Radio, and many more.
- Author(s)Aspen Baker
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectPopular Psychology
- Place of PublicationSan Francisco
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Weight525 g
- Width56 mm
- Height86 mm
- Spine7 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.