All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPraise for the First Edition If there is anything you want to kw, or remind yourself, about probabilities, then look further than this comprehensive, yet wittily written and enjoyable, compendium of how to apply probability calculations in real-world situations. - Keith Devlin, Stanford University, National Public Radio s Math Guy and author of The Math Gene and The Unfinished Game From probable improbabilities to regular irregularities, Probabilities: The Little Numbers That Rule Our Lives, Second Edition investigates the often surprising effects of risk and chance in our lives. Featuring a timely update, the Second Edition continues to be the go-to guidebook for an entertaining presentation on the mathematics of chance and uncertainty. The new edition develops the fundamental mathematics of probability in a unique, clear, and informal way so readers with various levels of experience with probability can understand the little numbers found in everyday life. Illustrating the concepts of probability through relevant and engaging real-world applications, the Second Edition features numerous examples on weather forecasts, DNA evidence, games and gambling, and medical testing. The revised edition also includes: * The application of probability in finance, such as option pricing * The introduction of branching processes and the extinction of family names * An extended discussion on opinion polls and Nate Silver s election predictions Probabilities: The Little Numbers That Rule Our Lives, Second Edition is an ideal reference for anyone who would like to obtain a better understanding of the mathematics of chance, as well as a useful supplementary textbook for students in any course dealing with probability.
- Author BiographyPeter Olofsson, PhD, is Professor in the Department of Mathematics at Trinity University, USA. An active researcher in the field of applied probability and an experienced teacher, Dr. Olofsson is the author of Probability, Statistics, and Stochastic Processes, Second Edition, also published by Wiley.
- Author(s)Peter Olofsson
- PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Date of Publication31/10/2014
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight520 g
- Width152 mm
- Height227 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.34New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.