All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHow can we predict the future without asking an astrologer? When a phemen is t evolving, experiments can be repeated and observations therefore accumulated; this is what we have done in Volume I. However history does t repeat itself. Prediction of the future can only be based on the evolution observed in the past. Yet certain phemena are stable eugh so that observation in a sufficient interval of time gives usable information on the future or the mechanism of evolution. Technically, the keys to asymptotic statistics are the following: laws of large numbers, central limit theorems, and likelihood calculations. We have sought the shortest route to these theorems by neglecting to present the most general models. The future statistician will use the foundations of the statistics of processes and should satisfy himself about the unity of the methods employed. At the same time, we have adhered as closely as possible to present day ideas of the theory of processes. For those who wish to follow the study of probabilities to postgraduate level, it is t a waste of time to begin with the least difficult technical situations. This book for final year mathematics courses is t the end of the matter. It acts as a springboard either for dealing concretely with the problems of the statistics of processes, or viii In trod uction to study in depth the more subtle aspects of probabilities.
- Author(s)Didier Dacunha-Castelle,Marie Duflo
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication13/10/2011
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight644 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Translated byDavid McHale
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1986
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.