All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionJames Michael Wine weaves a personal journey of learning, at turns humorous, political, poetic and insightful, as he claims that Sweden is probably the best country on Earth. Love brought him to the North, but it was the use of Sweden as a code word for something torious or evil during the 2008 US presidential election - which doubt will be used again in 2012 - that triggered this book. Digging through his life in the two cultures for reasons behind this code, Wine comes across a Swedish fact so mind-boggling to his American mind that it compels him to explore this moment on the planet and how each country grapples with the momentous challenges never before faced by civilization.
- Author BiographyJames Michael Wine was born in Pikeville, Kentucky in 1954 together with twin brother Charlie. They grew up in the US, Luxembourg, Ivory Coast and Switzerland, the sons of an American ambassador serving President Kennedy. Educated in political science and literature, Jim met his wife Eva Jonasson, an artist from Vasteras, Sweden in 1973. In the 70s and 80s Jim wrote four books of poetry and with his brother, a musician, composed seven works of poesia per musica, including a peace which premiered at the Corcoran Gallery of Art in 1986. In 1990, on advice from Leonard Bernstein, the brothers started an arts company and worked in media for social change, producing the first ever TV spot from a Macintosh to remember John Lennon on MTV and creating the Hands Without Guns campaign. They also produced a film version of Tomas Transtromer's poem Ostersjoar, which premiered at the Cooper Union in NY in 1993, broadcast by Swedish Television in 1994. In 1998 Jim and Eva moved to Stockholm. Jim served on the board of the Peace Appeal Foundation (US) and since 2005 he has been a senior advisor to the Tallberg Foundation, a global think tank in Sweden.
- Author(s)James Michael Wine
- Date of Publication05/10/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: General
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight463 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.