All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThese problems and solutions are offered to students of mathematics who have learned real analysis, measure theory, elementary topology and some theory of topological vector spaces. The current widely used texts in these subjects provide the background for the understanding of the problems and the finding of their solutions. In the bibliography the reader will find listed a number of books from which the necessary working vocabulary and techniques can be acquired. Thus it is assumed that terms such as topological space, u-ring, metric, measurable, homeomorphism, etc., and groups of symbols such as AnB, x EX, f: IR 3 X 1-+ X 2 - 1, etc., are familiar to the reader. They are used without introductory definition or explanation. Nevertheless, the index provides definitions of some terms and symbols that might prove puzzling. Most terms and symbols peculiar to the book are explained in the various introductory paragraphs titled Conventions. Occasionally definitions and symbols are introduced and explained within statements of problems or solutions. Although some solutions are complete, others are designed to be sketchy and thereby to give their readers an opportunity to exercise their skill and imagination. Numbers written in boldface inside square brackets refer to the bib- liography. I should like to thank Professor P. R. Halmos for the opportunity to discuss with him a variety of technical, stylistic, and mathematical questions that arose in the writing of this book. Buffalo, NY B.R.G.
- Author(s)Bernard R. Gelbaum
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/12/2012
- Series TitleProblem Books in Mathematics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight373 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1982
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $19.86New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.63
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.10Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.