All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOur ecomy is neither overwhelmingly capitalist, as Marxist political ecomists argue, r overwhelmingly a market ecomy, as mainstream ecomists assume. Both approaches igre vast swathes of the ecomy, including the gift, collaborative and hybrid forms that coexist with more conventional capitalism in the new digital ecomy. Drawing on ecomic sociology, anthropology of the gift and heterodox ecomics, this book proposes a groundbreaking framework for analysing diverse ecomic systems: a political ecomy of practices. The framework is used to analyse Apple, Wikipedia, Google, YouTube and Facebook, showing how different complexes of appropriative practices bring about radically different ecomic outcomes. Invative and topical, Profit and Gift in the Digital Ecomy focusses on an area of rapid social change while developing a theoretically and politically radical framework that will be of continuing long-term relevance. It will appeal to students, activists and academics in the social sciences.
- Author BiographyDave Elder-Vass teaches sociology and digital economies at Loughborough University. Before returning to academic life he was a senior IT technology manager in the private sector. This book brings together his expertise in digital technology and its use in business with his academic work on economic sociology and particularly the relation of gifts to the conventional economy. His previous publications include The Causal Power of Social Structures (Cambridge, 2010) and The Reality of Social Construction (Cambridge, 2012).
- Author(s)Dave Elder-Vass
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication24/06/2016
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight390 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.