All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionArtifacts linked to projectile techlogies traditionally have provided the foundations for time-space systematics and cultural-historic frameworks in archaeological research having to do with foragers. With the shift in archae- ological research objectives to processual interpretations, projectile techlo- gies continue to receive marked attention, but with an emphasis on the implications of variability in such areas as design, function, and material as they relate to the broader questions of human adaptation. The reason that this particular domain of foraging techlogy persists as an important focus of research, I think, comes in three parts. A projectile techlogy was a crucial part of most foragers' strategies for survival, it was functionally spe- cific, and it generally was fabricated from durable materials likely to be detected archaeologically. Being fundamental to meat acquisition and the principal source of calo- ries, projectile techlogies were typically afforded greater time-investment, formal modification, and elaboration of attributes than others. Moreover, such techlogies tend to display greater standardization because of con- straints on size, morphology, and weight that are inherent to the delivery system. The elaboration of attributes and standardization of form gives pro- jectile techlogies time-and space-sensitivity that is greater than most other foraging techlogies. And such sensitivity is immensely valuable in archae- ological research.
- PublisherSpringer Science+Business Media
- Date of Publication01/10/1997
- Series TitleInterdisciplinary Contributions to Archaeology
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPlenum Publishing Co.,N.Y.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight1720 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byHeidi Knecht
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.35Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.