Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
About this product
- DescriptionWhen Art Spiegelman's Maus won the Pulitzer Prize in 1992, it marked a new era for comics. Comics are w taken seriously by the same academic and cultural institutions that long dismissed the form. And the visibility of comics continues to increase, with alternative cartoonists w published by major presses and more comics-based films arriving on the screen each year. Projections argues that the seemingly sudden visibility of comics is accident. Beginning with the parallel development of narrative comics at the turn of the 20th century, comics have long been a form that invites-indeed requires-readers to help shape the stories being told. Today, with the rise of interactive media, the creative techniques and the reading practices comics have been experimenting with for a century are w in universal demand. Recounting the history of comics from the nineteenth-century rise of sequential comics to the newspaper strip, through comic books and underground comix, to the graphic vel and webcomics, Gardner shows why they offer the best models for rethinking storytelling in the twenty-first century. In the process, he reminds us of some beloved characters from our past and present, including Happy Hooligan, Krazy Kat, Crypt Keeper, and Mr. Natural.
- Author BiographyJared Gardner is Associate Professor of English and Film at Ohio State University. He is the author of Master Plots: Race and the Founding of an American Literature, 1787-1845.
- Author(s)Jared Gardner
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication15/12/2011
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Series TitlePost - 45
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight666 g
- Width4531 mm
- Height6466 mm
- Spine458 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.