All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll humans have an innate need and ability to communicate with others, and this book presents successful approaches to nurturing communicative abilities in people who have some type of communication impairment. The contributors look at a wide range of approaches, including intensive interaction, co-creative communication, sensory integration and music therapy, for a variety of impairments, including autism, profound learning disabilities, deafblindness, severe early neglect and dementia. This wide perspective provides insight into what it feels like to struggle with a communicative impairment, and how those who work with and care about such individuals can and should think more creatively about how to make contact with them. Covering both the theory and practical implementation of different interventions, this book will be invaluable for health and social work professionals, psychologists, psychotherapists, counsellors, speech and language therapists, as well as researchers, teachers and students in these fields.
- Author BiographyM. Suzanne Zeedyk, PhD, MPhil, is Senior Lecturer in Developmental Psychology at the University of Dundee, UK. She has published a number of research articles on imitation and parent-child interaction, as well as other areas of psychology. The contributors to this volume comprise a range of researchers and practitioners experienced in working with individuals with communicative impairments. As well as being specialists in their individual domains, this set of authors have spent time working together as a group and thus are able to draw out often unrecognised connections between these domains.
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication08/04/2008
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited bySuzanne Zeedyk
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $39.30Trending at AU $40.08
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.