All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book focuses on the alternative paradigm, the pro-growth intellectual tradition that rejected the prophecies of doom and called for realism and pragmatism in dealing with the challenge of the future. Paul Dragos Aligica reconstructs and describes the basic elements of this tradition that emerged in the seventies as a response to the Club of Rome and the limits to growth movement. He outlines a comprehensive perspective on its methodological and conceptual foundations. Aligica uses the work of the two major founders of this alternative approach: Herman Kahn and Julian Simon. Herman Kahn was the first scholar and public intellectual to engage and refute the doomsday theses advanced by the Club of Rome and its followers. In his spirited and optimistic arguments he made a strong case for the feasibility, desirability and morality of global ecomic growth arguing that even given all the likely human, environmental, and material costs and risks, the case is close to if t fully overwhelming. Julian Simon elaborated the anti-doomsayers lines opened by Kahn, further developing the emerging paradigm. He articulated new and precise arguments on issues such as population growth, natural resources scarcity and techlogical change, and reinforced Kahn's thesis that continued world ecomic development is a moral imperative as well as a practical desideratum. Together, Kahn and Simon managed to build the foundations on which rest the current counter-reaction to the limits to growth rhetoric and its initiatives. Both were t only public figures of great accomplishments and influence but also remarkable thinkers and personalities.
- Author BiographyDr. Aligica is a senior fellow at the Mercatus Center, an adjunct fellow at the Hudson Institute, and an associate professor at the National School of Political Science and Public Administration in Bucharest.
- Author(s)Paul Dragos Aligica
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication23/08/2007
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight327 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Cravings: Recipes for All the Food You Want to Eat by Adeena Sussman, Chrissy Teigen (Hardback, 2016)
- AU $43.38New
- AU $30.64New
- AU $22.99New
- AU $30.81New
- AU $20.06New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $11.99Trending at AU $13.93
- AU $39.17Trending at AU $50.72
- AU $39.11Trending at AU $43.38
- AU $60.83Trending at AU $63.06
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.71
- AU $15.95Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $25.80Trending at AU $30.81
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.