Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $39.18Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $19.97Free postage
- Good condition
- Sold by book_fountain
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the swarming streets of Copenhagen to the frozen villages of Greenland, The Prophets of Eternal Fjord is a grand, magisterial story of epic proportion. Earning rave reviews and scores of readers across the world, Kim Leine's masterpiece-sweeping across the sea in a whaler and scurrying, panicked, from the Great Fire of 1795-arrives on American shores erupting with pathos, lust, faith lost and found, and a cast of characters clinging to life amidst persecution and calamity. Idealistic, foolhardy Morten Falck, the hapless hero, is a newly ordained priest sailing to Greenland in 1787 to convert the Inuit to the Danish church. He's rejected the prospect of a sleepy posting in a local parish and instead departs for the forsaken Sukkertoppen colony, where he will endeavor to convert the locals. A town battered by unremittingly harsh winters and simmering with the threat of dissent, it is a far cry from the parish he envisioned; natives from neighboring villages have unified to reject colonial rule and establish their own settlement atop Eternal Fjord. A bumbling and at times terrifically destructive mix of Shakespeare's Falstaff and Nathaniel Hawthorne's Arthur Dimmesdale, he's woefully ill prepared to confront this new sect. Torn between his instinctive compassion for the rebel congregation perched atop Eternal Fjord and his duty to the church, Falck is forced to decide where he belongs. His exploits in this brutal backwater include an accidental explosion after a night curled around a keg, a botched surgery, a love affair with a solitary and fatalistic widow, and an apprenticeship with an eager young scholar that ends in tragedy. Based on authentic events in the 1780s and '90s, The Prophets of Eternal Fjord moves from the quiet rooms of the Copenhagen bourgeoisie to the stark, hardscrabble village of the Fjord where Falck finds himself-surprisingly-at home. Kim Leine's textured, earthy prose evokes the sting of the cold, the itch of the wool, and the burn of the roughest swig of aquavit. In gritty detail, Leine reveals the corrosive effects of colonial rule-both on the colonized, bitterly ground down as they are, and on the colonizers, compromised and corrupted by their baseless power. In rich, Dickensian descriptions, Leine charts the tragic events that intertwine seemingly disparate lives, illuminating the brutal and tender impulses of those seeking redemption and the shifting line between religion and mysticism. The Prophets of Eternal Fjord is a visceral parama of a fragile colony caught in the throes of history, marking the American debut of a major international writer.
- Author BiographyKim Leine has won the Nordic Council Literature Prize and the Danish booksellers' Golden Laurel award. His books have been published all around the world, and he lives in Denmark. Martin Aitken is an acclaimed translator of Danish literature. Recent books include works by Dorthe Nors, Peter Hoeg, and Helle Helle. He lives in rural Denmark.
- Author(s)Kim Leine
- PublisherWW Norton & Co
- Date of Publication25/08/2015
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLiveright Publishing Corporation
- Weight1000 g
- Width168 mm
- Height244 mm
- Spine45 mm
- Translated byMartin Aitken
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $19.66
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.07
- AU $47.57Trending at AU $49.54
- AU $26.48Trending at AU $34.68
- AU $27.13Trending at AU $27.83
- AU $11.85Trending at AU $14.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.