All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe field of eicosaid metabolism and function continues to grow. Synthesis of the prostaglandins from essential fatty acids was first described by Bergstrom and Sarnuelsson in 1964. The thromboxanes were discovered in 1975, the prostacyclins, by Moncada and Vane, in 1976, and the leukotrienes by Samuelsson in 1979. A new class of biologically active arachidonic acid metabolites named lipoxins was anunced by Bengt Samuelsson in May 1984. Since that time major advances have been made in the molecular biology of the eicosaids including the cloning of prostaglandin synthases and 5, 12, and 15-lipoxygenases from several different species, including man. This volume, Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes, Lipoxins, and P AF: Their Mechanism of Action, Molecular Biology, and Clinical Applications contains most of the papers presented in the plenary sessions of the Xlth International Washington Spring Symposium on Health Sciences. The book is divided into six parts, each covering a different aspect of this rapidly expanding field, and contains a total of 42 chapters by an internationally recognized group of authors in each area. Part I contains 11 chapters and covers the molecular biology and enzymology of prostaglandins and leukotrienes. Chapter 1 by the Editor details new mechanisms for the antiinflammatory glucocorticoids involving translational control of the messenger RNA for prostaglandin synthase. Chapter 2 by Yamamoto describes the molecular evolution of two distinct mammalian 12-lipoxygenases.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication01/07/2013
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleGWUMC Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Annual Spring Symposia
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight657 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byJ.Martyn Bailey
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1991
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.