Protecting Individual Privacy in the Struggle Against Terrorists: A Framework for Program Assessment by Committee on National Statistics, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences, Committee on Technical and Privacy Dimensions of Information for Terrorism Prevention and Other National Goals, Computer Science and Telecommunications Board, National Research Council, Committee on Law and Justice, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education (Paperback, 2008)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $71.52Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by books2anywhereuk
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAll U.S. agencies with counterterrorism programs that collect or mine personal data -- such as phone records or Web sites visited -- should be required to evaluate the programs' effectiveness, lawfulness, and impacts on privacy. A framework is offered that agencies can use to evaluate such information-based programs, both classified and unclassified. The book urges Congress to re-examine existing privacy law to assess how privacy can be protected in current and future programs and recommends that any individuals harmed by violations of privacy be given a meaningful form of redress. Two specific techlogies are examined: data mining and behavioral surveillance. Regarding data mining, the book concludes that although these methods have been useful in the private sector for spotting consumer fraud, they are less helpful for counterterrorism because so little is kwn about what patterns indicate terrorist activity. Regarding behavioral surveillance in a counterterrorist context, the book concludes that although research and development on certain aspects of this topic are warranted, there is scientific consensus on whether these techniques are ready for operational use at all in counterterrorism.
- Author BiographyCommittee on Technical and Privacy Dimensions of Information for Terrorism Prevention and Other National Goals, National Research Council
- Author(s)Committee on Law and Justice,Committee on National Statistics,Committee on Technical and Privacy Dimensions of Information for Terrorism Prevention and Other National Goals,Computer Science and Telecommunications Board,Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education,Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences,National Research Council
- PublisherNational Academies Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2008
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNational Academies Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Explore Buying Guides
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.82Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.06Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.