All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionParliamentary ombudsmen are appointed to investigate citizens' complaints and to provide checks on government administrative activity. In Canada, there are ten provincial and territorial ombudsmen, each with mandates over the whole of the public service within their regions. Though each ombudsman presents an annual report on his or her activities, there has been little sustained evaluation of the position's impact or its effectiveness. In this collection, contributors describe and assess the performance of the ten ombudsman offices in light of their multiple and evolving functions. Ombudsmen both investigate citizens' complaints and direct them to already-existing agencies. They sometimes educate the public about administrative processes and initiate probes of systemic issues in need of amelioration or change. An important evaluation of a little-studied institution, Provincial and Territorial Ombudsman Offices in Canada offers background and theory, case studies, and perspectives on the emerging challenges for the office in the twenty-first century.
- Author BiographyStewart Hyson is an assistant professor in the Department of History and Politics at the University of New Brunswick, Saint John.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication19/12/2009
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Series TitleIPAC Series in Public Management & Governance
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note4
- Weight620 g
- Width157 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byStewart Hyson
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.42
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $39.16Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.36Trending at AU $30.17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.