All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the summer of 1965 the informal parties that Ken Kesey was holding at his house in Palo Alto California were about to evolve into what became kwn as the Acid Tests. These spontaneous anarchic gatherings spread their tentacles far and wide until an entire generation seemed to be under their spell. Fifty years on from the Merry Pranksters multimedia mayhem, acclaimed author Rob Chapman explores in crystalline detail the history, precedents and cultural impact of LSD, from the earliest experiments in painting with light and immersive environments to the thriving avant-garde scene that existed in San Francisco long before the Grateful Dead and the Fillmore Auditorium. In the UK, he documents an entirely different history, and one that has never been told before. It has its roots in fairy tales and fairgrounds, the music hall and the dead of Flanders fields, in the Festival of Britain and that peculiarly British strand of surrealism that culminated in the Magical Mystery Tour. Sitars and Sergeant Pepper, surfadelica and the Soft Machine, light shows and love - ins - the mind-expanding effects of acid were to redefine popular culture as we kw it. It's a story that you think you kw, but one has laid out the narrative quite like this before. Chapman documents psychedelia's utopian reverberations - and the dark side of its moon - in a shimmering day-glo portrait where the sublime, the sinister and the just plain silly co-exist in imperfect harmony.
- Author BiographyRob Chapman is the author of perhaps the most acclaimed biography of Syd Barrett: An Irregular Head. He has written three other books and was a member of the Bristol based group, The Glaxo Babies.
- Author(s)Rob Chapman
- PublisherFaber & Faber
- Date of Publication03/09/2015
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintFaber & Faber
- Weight1211 g
- Width176 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine38 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementMain
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.