Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.71Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionThe history of mental health care in the twentieth century is a relatively uncharted territory. Exemplifying a new emphasis on the comparative approach, this volume offers overviews of various national psychiatric cultures and explores new research subjects. By confronting Dutch psychiatry with developments abroad, this collection highlights interesting contrasts and analogies. Some articles focus on the interaction between asylums and the family, others address issues such as psychiatric nursing, psychotropic drugs, the organisation and policies in the field of psychiatry, the role of various professions, the development of the inand outpatient mental health sectors, anti-psychiatry and de-institutionalisation. Several authors bring in the broader social and cultural context, such as the two World Wars, the welfare state, gender and class relations, the protest movement of the 1960s, democratisation, and totalitarian regimes. Two broad reflective reviews, one historiographic and the other contextual and comparative, conclude the volume.
- Author BiographyMarijke Gijswijt-Hofstra is professor of social and cultural history at the University of Amsterdam. Harry Oosterhuis lectures in history at the Faculty of Arts and Culture of the University of Maastricht. Joost Vijselaar is professor of the history of psychiatry at the University of Utrecht. Hugh Freeman is a former consultant psychiatrist, head of a teaching unit in Manchester, and former editor of the British Journal of Psychiatry.
- PublisherAmsterdam University Press
- Date of Publication26/09/2005
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationAmsterdam
- Country of PublicationNetherlands
- ImprintAmsterdam University Press
- Out-of-print date03/06/2013
- Weight800 g
- Width160 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byHarry Oosterhuis,Hugh Freeman,Joost Vijselaar,Marijke Gijswijt-Hofstra
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.