All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionHumans are surrounded by trillions of stimuli. Their eyes, for instance, can discriminate 7,500,000 colors. But, there is a severe limitation in the number of discriminably different stimuli that they can process at one time. George Miller argued that they can handle more than seven, plus or minus two independent pieces of information at any given time. Thus, necessarily they must develop ways to simplify the task of processing the information that exists in their environment. They do this in many ways. One way is to select the stimuli that are most imp- tant in their lives, what are often called values. Ather way is to chunk stimuli by linking them to each other, so they form bundles of stimuli that can be processed as if they are one entity. Generalized expectancies of what is linked with what are beliefs, and these beliefs are structured into bundles (see Triandis, 1972).
- Author BiographyKwok Leung is professor and Head of Management at City University of Hong Kong. He received his doctorate in social and organizational psychology at the University of Illinois. He is Deputy Editor-in-Chief of Journal of International Business Studies and senior editor of Management and Organization Review. His research areas include justice and conflict, cross-cultural psychology and research methods, and international business. Michael Harris Bond is Professor of Psychology at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. He graduated from Stanford University, where he began his study of person perception, subsequently broadened to include research into the areas of justice, aggression, and impression management.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication12/02/2010
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleInternational and Cultural Psychology
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note57 black & white tables, biography
- Weight563 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byMichael Harris Bond,Professor Kwok Leung
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement1st ed. Softcover of orig. ed. 2009
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.