Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse by Marc Galanter, Herbert D. Kleber (Paperback, 2010)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $86.16Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $130.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn adapting a new, clinically focused manual from their popular American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, w in its fourth edition, Dr. Marc Galanter and Dr. Herbert Kleber intend Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse to be of practical application to both experienced clinicians and those new to the field substance abuse intervention. This manual: Reviews the most common psychotherapeutic interventions for opiod-related and alcohol-related substance abuse disorders. Features chapters authored by leading authorities on each intervention covered. Gives valuable insight into the substance abuse disorders that affect over 20% of the U.S. population at some time in their lives. Outlines diagstic tools such as patient assessment, patient placement criteria, and how to test for and identify recent drug use. Confirms that the most common interventions for virtually all substance abuse disorders are psychotherapy and behavioral approaches. Only one in ten patients with substance abuse disorders actually seek and receive treatment. The text is intended to address and overcome the shortage of substance abuse treatment providers and the inadequate training of many clinicians in the intervention techniques they will need in order to help these patients. Psychotherapy for the Treatment of Substance Abuse brings together chapters by experts in their respective treatment specialties, written in a consistent format and style for easy reference. Chapters include relevant case studies on the following topics: Drs. Greenfield and Hennessey's chapter on assessing the patient combines key didactic points with the compassion and insights of two experienced therapists. Dr. el-Guebaly lays out the cross-cultural aspects of addiction therapy and its increasing importance in our culturally diverse society. Cognitive-behavioral therapy (Dr. Carroll), motivational therapy (Dr. Di Clemente), and contingency management (Dr. Higgins) are probably the three most studied behavioral interventions for substance abuse disorders, though t the most used. The principles outlined by Drs. Frances, Mack, and Lightdale in covering psychodynamic psychotherapy can improve insights into and practice of other modalities. Twelve-step facilitation (Dr. Ries) lays out how to improve the chance of successful referral to Alcoholic Anymous as well as how to utilize its precepts in other settings. Network Therapy, a specialty practiced by volume editor Marc Galanter, is a multimodal approach to rehabilitation that enlists the support of family members and friends to try to achieve prompt abstinence and ongoing relapse prevention. Multiple techniques discussed in this volume are brought to life in an accompanying DVD that reinforces the text by sharing reenacted segments of actual sessions of multimodal Network Therapy. This text is highly recommended for psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, residents and fellows, and anyone interested in substance abuse treatment and prevention.
- Author BiographyMarc Galanter, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry and Director, Division of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, New York University School of Medicine. Herbert D. Kleber, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry and Director, Division of Substance Abuse, Columbia University.
- Author(s)Herbert D. Kleber,Marc Galanter
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication02/09/2010
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Publishing
- Content Note6 line drawings, 19 tables
- Weight708 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $192.00Trending at AU $201.31
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.70
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.30
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $83.84
- AU $64.76Trending at AU $68.73
- AU $77.30Trending at AU $78.19
- AU $108.88Trending at AU $111.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.