All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the United States today many people are as likely to identify themselves by their ethnicity or region as by their nationality. In this country with its diversity and inequalities, can there be a shared public culture? Is there an unbridgeable gap between cultural variety and civic unity, or can public forms of expression provide an opportunity for Americans to come together as a people? In Public Culture: Diversity, Democracy, and Community in the United States, an interdisciplinary group of scholars addresses these questions while considering the state of American public culture over the past one hundred years. From medicine shows to the Internet, from the Los Angeles Plaza to the Las Vegas Strip, from the commemoration of the Oklahoma City bombing to television programming after 9/11, public sights and scenes provide ways to negotiate new forms of belonging in a diverse, postmodern community. By analyzing these cultural phemena, the essays in this volume reveal how mass media, consumerism, increased privatization of space, and growing political polarization have transformed public culture and the very tion of the American public. Focusing on four central themes-public action, public image, public space, and public identity-and approaching shared culture from a range of disciplines-including mass communication, history, sociology, urban studies, ethnic studies, and cultural studies-Public Culture offers refreshing perspectives on a subject of perennial significance.
- Author BiographyMarguerite S. Shaffer is Associate Professor of American History and American Studies at Miami University and author of See America First: Tourism and National Identity, 1880-1940.
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication05/03/2012
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Note34 illus.
- Weight522 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byMarguerite S. Shaffer
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.