All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionLawrence O. Gostin's seminal Public Health Law is widely acclaimed as the definitive statement on public health law at the turn of the twenty-first century. In this bold third edition, Gostin is joined by Lindsay F. Wiley to analyze major health threats of our time such as chronic diseases, emerging infectious diseases, antimicrobial resistance, bioterrorism, natural disasters, opiod overdose, and gun violence. The authors draw on constitutional law, administrative law, local government law, and tort law to develop their conception of law as a tool for protecting the public's health. The book creates an intellectual framework for modern public health law and supports that framework with illustrations of the scientific, political, and ethical issues involved. In proposing invative solutions for the future of the public's health, Gostin and Wiley's essential study provides a blueprint for public and political debates to come. New issues covered in this edition: corporate personhood rights raised in response to regulations of tobacco, food and beverages, alcohol, firearms, prescription drugs, and marijuana; local government authority to protect the public's health; deregulation and harm reduction as modes of public health law intervention; taxation, spending, and alteration of the socioecomic environment as modes of public health law intervention; access to health care as a strategy for protecting the public's health; taxation, spending, licensing, zoning, and shared-use strategies for chronic disease prevention; the public health law perspective on violence and injury prevention; and health justice as a framework for reducing health disparities and protecting the public's health.
- Author BiographyLawrence O. Gostin is University Professor, the Founding O'Neill Chair in Global Health Law, and Director of the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law and the World Health Organization Collaborating Center on Public Health Law and Human Rights at Georgetown University, and Professor of Public Health at Johns Hopkins University Lindsay F. Wiley is Associate Professor at American University's Washington College of Law. She serves on the Board of Directors of the American Society for Law, Medicine, and Ethics and on the National Conference of Lawyers and Scientists. Thomas R. Frieden is the Director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Acting Administrator of the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
- Author(s)Lawrence O. Gostin,Lindsay F. Wiley
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication11/03/2016
- SubjectLaw: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Note19 b/w illustrations, 48 b/w photographs, 26 tables
- Weight998 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine43 mm
- Foreword byThomas R. Frieden
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement3rd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.78
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $20.05
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.31
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.97
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.14
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $17.90
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.62
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.