All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublic policy for the 21st century is a collection of essays in memory of Henry Neuburger, an ecomist whose career spanned half a dozen government departments, and who was for much of the 1980s an adviser to the leadership of the Labour Party. His original contributions to ecomic policy analysis across the field of public policy are the starting point of the essays, whose contributors between them cover the same broad span of ecomic policy. The essays look forward to the new century and together form an introduction to key issues in contemporary policy making. Policy issues covered include macroecomic policy, the impact of the National Minimum Wage, the distributional effect of tax and benefit policies since the 1997 change of government, the debates around an 'urban renaissance', and the impact of European integration on policy making. Contributors also examine and explain debates around different approaches to ecomic analysis, and show how analysis can be carried beyond the conventional confines of the money ecomy and of the household as a 'black box'. The book concludes with a discussion of Henry Neuburger's career, looking in particular at the role of ecomic advisers within policy making. This is a timely book on ecomic policy making and commitment to making that policy work. It is important reading for students and academics concerned with public, ecomic and social policy, and government ecomists.
- Author BiographyJohn Hills is Richard Titmuss Professor of Social Policy and Co-Director of the International Inequalities Institute at the London School of Economics. He has written extensively on inequality, public policy and the welfare state. He was a member of the Pensions Commission and Chair of the National Equality Panel for the Labour government and led a review of the measurement of fuel poverty for the Coalition government. He was knighted in 2013 for services to the development of social policy.
- PublisherPolicy Press
- Date of Publication06/12/2000
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationBristol
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolicy Press
- Content Note16figs.16tabs.
- Weight384 g
- Width148 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byJohn Hills,Neil Fraser
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.03
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.19
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.67
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.72
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.45
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.35
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.71
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.