All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe performance of the public services, from education and policing to health and recycling, is a matter of concern in many countries. Issues of public service efficiency, cost, and effectiveness have moved to the forefront of political debate. This book applies the latest thinking from Management and Organization Studies to the performance of public organizations in order to evaluate the merits of different mechanisms for driving improvement in the public sector. Research in Management and Organization Studies on the private sector has identified a number of 'drivers' of improved performance, including invation, organizational culture, leadership, and strategic planning. Many of these 'private sector' characteristics have emerged within public sector organisations in recent years. However, public managers face additional pressures, whether from regulators, constrained resources, or political interference. This book takes each of these drivers in turn and assesses whether they lead to improvement in public services. Written for students and researchers of Public Management, this book will also be of interest to public managers and consultants.
- Author BiographyTom Entwistle is a Senior Lecturer in Public Policy and Management and is programme director for Cardiff's Master of Public Administration. His research interests lie in the areas of partnership, local governance, central-local relations, and the policy process. He is currently working on an evaluation of local government policy for the Welsh Assembly Government, and has recently completed projects for the Lyons Inquiry, Countryside Agency, and the Welsh Local Government Association. He has had papers published in a number of refereed journals including: Public Administration, Environment and Planning, Policy and Politics, and Urban Studies.
- Author(s)George A. Boyne,Rachel E. Ashworth,Tom Entwistle
- PublisherOxford University Press
- Date of Publication29/04/2010
- SubjectGovernment & Constitution
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOxford University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight384 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.60
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.