All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPublicity pervades our political and public culture, but little has been written that critically examines the basis of the modern Canadian publicity state. This collection is the first to focus on the central themes in the state's relationship with publicity practices and the permanent campaign, the constant search by politicians and their strategists for popular consent. Central to this political popularity contest are publicity tools borrowed from private enterprise, turning political parties into sound bites and party members into consumers. Publicity and the Canadian State is the first sustained study of the contemporary practices of political communication, focusing holistically on the tools of the publicity state and their ideological underpinnings: advertising, public opinion research, marketing, branding, image consulting, and media and information management, as well as related topics such as election law and finance, privacy, think-tank lobbying, and n-election communication campaigns. Bringing together contemporary Canadian analysis by scholars in a number of fields, this collection will be a welcome new resource for academics, public relations and policy professionals, and government communicators at all levels.
- Author BiographyKirsten Kozolanka is an associate professor in the School of Journalism and Communication at Carleton University. She has been an assistant press secretary to a political party leader on Parliament Hill, communications advisor to a cabinet minister at Queen's Park, and a communications manager in a federal government department.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication19/02/2014
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Noteblack & white tables
- Weight580 g
- Width152 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byKirsten Kozolanka
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.50Trending at AU $111.86
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.13
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.