All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionPuppy Mill Dogs SPEAK! gives voice to dogs previously used as breeders in puppy mills - the adult males and females kept captive all their lives to produce those cute puppies in the pet stores. Many puppy mill breeder dogs cant speak: Breeders cruelly de-bark them to keep them quiet and undetected. Author, pet behavior consultant, and dog trainer Chris Shaughness gives voice to these animals, their rescuers, and adopters. The first dog that I knew was a rescued breeder dog was a young Golden Retriever who had just been brought in from the puppy mill farm, Chris explains. When a leash was placed on her, she dropped straight to the ground. It was like she had legs. She was frozen in terror, and went between pancaked and crawling on the ground to whirling around on the leash, trying to escape it. It was so far away from what a dog should be - the happy, waggy-tailed Golden Retriever that you'd picture in your family home. Can breeder dogs overcome such abusive beginnings and learn to live and love as family pets? SPEAK! shares the inspirational stories of several brave, resilient dogs and the families who adopted them - patient, loving heroes who serve as bright, shining examples of unconditional love. Chris marvels, I have an obligation to pass along words spoken by these adopters: 'It's one of the most challenging things I've ever done, but certainly one of the most rewarding.' SPEAK! further details and explains many behavior and health issues typically presented by these dogs and the puppies they produce, and provides compassionate, practical advice for overcoming these problems and other training issues common to all dogs. Each year, hundreds of thousands of puppy mill puppies are sold in U.S. pet stores and other retail outlets. No other book explains the realities and consequences of how these dogs are mass-produced. Puppy Mill Dogs SPEAK! gives voice to the voiceless, and shares the cry adopt, don't buy with everyone.
- Author BiographyChris Shaughness is a dog trainer and behavior consultant, pet massage therapist, author and speaker specializing in rescued dogs. A former telecommunications executive with a Master's degree in IT, she tossed it all for the love of animals. Chris volunteers for several animal rescue organizations and shares her home in West Chester, PA with an ever-changing population of older, previously homeless dogs. She co-produced the film, Uncaged: Second Chances for Puppy Mill Breeder Dogs.
- Author(s)Christine Palm Shaughness
- Date of Publication25/07/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight240 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine11 mm
- Edited byChris M Slawecki
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.