All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe building and management of public housing is often seen as a signal failure of American public policy, but this is a vastly oversimplified view. In Purging the Poorest , Lawrence J. Vale offers a new narrative of the seventy-five-year struggle to house the deserving poor. In the 1930s, two iconic American cities, Atlanta and Chicago, demolished their slums and established some of this country's first public housing. Six decades later, these same cities also led the way in clearing public housing itself. Vale's ground breaking history of these twice-cleared communities provides unprecedented detail about the development, decline, and redevelopment of two of America's most famous housing projects: Chicago's Cabrini-Green and Atlanta's Techwood/Clark Howell Homes. Vale offers the vel concept of design politics to show how issues of architecture and urbanism are intimately bound up in thinking about policy. Drawing from extensive archival research and in-depth interviews, Vale recalibrates the larger cultural role of public housing, revalues the contributions of public housing residents, and reconsiders the role of design and designers.
- Author BiographyLawrence J. Vale is the Ford Professor of Urban Design and Planning at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. His many books include three prize-winning volumes: Architecture, Power, and National Identity; From the Puritans to the Projects: Public Housing and Public Neighbors; and Reclaiming Public Housing: A Half Century of Struggle in Three Public Neighborhoods.
- Author(s)Lawrence J. Vale
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication07/06/2013
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Series TitleHistorical Studies of Urban America
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note63 halftones, 6 line drawings
- Weight590 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.