All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionGout and urie acid lithiasis are kwn to have affected mankind for thousands of years. It is only recently, however, that great progress has been made in the understanding of the processes involved in purine metabolism and its disorders in man. The key enzymes active in the various pathways of purine synthesis and degradation have become kwn and their properties are the subject of intensive study. Major contributions to the kwledge of rmal purine metabolism in man have derived from the study of inborn errors in patients with purine disorders, specifically complete and partial hypoxanthine-guanine phosphoribosyltransferase deficiency. Mutations of other enzymes involved in purine metabolism are being discovered. A great step forward has been made in the treatment of gout with the introduction of uricosuric drugs and more recently of the hypoxanthine analogue allopuril, a synthetic xanthine oxidase inhibitor. Furthermore, the complex nature of the renal handling of urie acid excretion, although still posing difficult problems, appears to approach clari- fication.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication15/04/2013
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Series TitleAdvances in Experimental Medicine and Biology
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight765 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine26 mm
- Edited byOded Sperling
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1974
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.