All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom anxieties over work-life balance and entangling techlogies, to celebrations of cool jobs and great places to live, quality of life frames the ways we enhance our lives and legitimate social change today. But how does the idea of quality of life envision the greater good, and what gets lost as a result? This book provides the critical framework for understanding the idea's contexts and tensions that are conspicuously missing in popular discussions, professional activities, and scholarly research on quality of life. With multiple case studies taken across North America and Europe, it provides a sociological perspective on the contradictory ways we talk about and pursue quality of life in relation to techlogy, consumerism, family, work, public space, rural ways of life, and ultimately the final years of life. Drawing on contemporary and classical social theory, it provides an incisive account of the historical shifts in developed societies over the last half-century that have transformed our views and pursuits of quality of life. Originally a promise to undertake collective effort and pursue social justice at a moment of unprecedented opportunity, quality of life w enshrines a solipsistic ideal with which to accommodate the storms of market forces and political failure.
- Author BiographyLeonard Nevarez is an associate professor of sociology at Vassar College. He is the author of New Money, Nice Town: How Capital Works in the New Urban Economy (2003).
- Author(s)Leonard Nevarez
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication14/03/2011
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note10 black & white tables, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight492 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards,Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.