All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $13.42Trending at AU $19.99
- AU $30.43Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.82Trending at AU $17.85
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $17.43
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume brings together contributions from leading Plato scholars from Britain, Europe and North America on a closely defined topic central to Plato's thought and to Ancient Philosophy --Plato's Form of the Good. The importance of the collection lies in the combination and presentation in one place of a range of different approaches to the good in Plato's Republic, and different solutions to the problems posed and proposed by these approaches. The two central issues, which form an underlying thread throughout the collection, are: first whether Plato's Republic is centred on what is good for individual humans, or on some quasi-moral good; and secondly, what the Form of the Good is. Pursuing the Good goes beyond recent studies in the field, and will appeal to classicists and philosophers alike. To the advanced student, it represents a wide-ranging introduction to central issues of Plato's philosophy; for the academic it will provide stimulus through antithetical and controversial solutions to questions old and new.
- Author BiographyDouglas Cairns is Professor of Classics at the University of Edinburgh. Fritz-Gregor Herrmann is Senior Lecturer in Classics and Ancient History, University of Wales, Swansea. Terry Penner is Professor Emeritus of Philosophy, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- PublisherEdinburgh University Press
- Date of Publication21/11/2007
- Series TitleEdinburgh Leventis Studies
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 4
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintEdinburgh University Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight676 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byDouglas Cairns,Fritz-Gregor Herrmann,Terry Penner
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.