All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.82Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.79Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionThis thoughtful, poignant, personal memoir begins in the Cairo of the 1930s, with the author's schooldays at the Lycee Francais, and moves on to paint a rich social and ethnic picture against a backdrop of momentous events: the accession of King Farouk, the Second World War, the Revolution of 1952, the Suez Crisis of 1956. In the unfolding of these historic times, the sense of place too is strong, with vivid descriptions of places long gone, such as the British barracks, which once stood where the Nile Hilton w stands, and others that have changed substantially, like Midan Sollman Pasha, w Midan Talaat Harb. The author's life then follows an unexpected course of cultural encounter, as he plunges into a high-powered business career in America, Japan, and Europe that takes him high into executive circles - where the lessons he learns of cross-cultural perceptions are both useful and entertaining. Finally, after more than three decades of absence, the author returns to a bewilderingly changed Egypt. He has to ask for help to cross a busy street, a staigic visit to his old school brings t pleasure but sadness, and, oppressed by the size and pace of Cairo, he seeks the refuge of the idyllic tree-shaded Pyramids Road that he remembers so well from his childhood - only to find that that, too, has changed beyond recognition. Midhat Gazale recollects people, events, and places with uncommon clarity and a gentle humor. His memoirs will fascinate anyone who has ever asked the questions: What was Egypt like then? and How has it changed?
- Author BiographyMidhat Gazale, formerly president of AT&T France, is special advisor to the Egyptian prime minister for science and technology. He is the author of works on mathematics in both French and English.
- Author(s)Midhat Gazale
- PublisherThe American University in Cairo Press
- Date of Publication30/04/2004
- SubjectTravel Writing
- Place of PublicationCairo
- Country of PublicationEgypt
- ImprintThe American University in Cairo Press
- Content Note36 illustrations
- Weight590 g
- Width153 mm
- Height238 mm
- Spine21 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.