All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAdvocates of the established hypotheses on the origins of the Syptic gospels and their interrelationships (the Syptic Problem), and especially those defending or contesting the existence of the source (Q), are increasingly being called upon to justify their position with reference to ancient media practices. Still others go so far as to claim that ancient media realities force a radical rethinking of the whole project of Syptic source criticism, and they question whether traditional documentary approaches remain valid at all. This debate has been hampered to date by the patchy reception of research on ancient media in Syptic scholarship. Seeking to rectify this problem, Alan Kirk here mounts a defense, grounded in the practices of memory and manuscript transmission in the Roman world, of the Two Document Hypothesis. He shows how ancient media/memory approaches in fact offer new leverage on classic research problems in scholarship on the Syptic Gospels, and that they have the potential to break the current impasse in the Syptic Problem. The results of his analysis open up new insights to the early reception and scribal transmission of the Jesus tradition and cast new light on some long-conflicted questions in Christian origins.
- Author BiographyAlan Kirk is Professor of New Testament and Early Christianity in the Department of Philosophy and Religion at James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA, USA.
- Author(s)Alan Kirk
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication11/08/2016
- SubjectReligious Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleThe Library of New Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight695 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $100.37
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $70.85
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $75.94
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $84.02
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.60
- AU $64.69Trending at AU $68.88
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $107.45
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.