All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the most candid and compelling sports memoir since Andre Agassi s riveting bestseller Open, former San Francisco 49er, Super Bowl champion, NFL MVP, and Hall of Famer Steve Young gives readers an unprecedented and stunning inside look at what it takes to become a super-elite professional quarterback. Steve Young produced some of the most memorable moments in NFL history. The Run his electrifying 49-yard game-winning touchdown against Minnesota. The Catch II his last-second touchdown strike to Terrell Owens to beat Green Bay in the playoffs. Then there was his record-setting, six touchdown passes in Super Bowl XXIX. But Young s most impressive victories were personal ones that were won off the field when one was watching. QB is a remarkably revealing memoir of an athletically gifted Mormon boy with a 4.0 GPA, a photographic memory, and a severe case of childhood separation anxiety. At the same time, Young was absolutely fearless and unstoppable -- whenever he had a ball in his hands. As an eighth string quarterback at BYU, Young persevered through homesickness and a coach who said he d never make it as a quarterback because he was a lefty who couldn t throw. Determined to prove his coach wrong, Young became an All-American, finished second in the Heisman voting, and was the top draft choice coming out of college. After signing the largest contract in sports history, he was so overwhelmed by impossible expectations that he nearly walked away from football to become a lawyer. Instead, he ended up in San Francisco, pitted against Joe Montana in what became the greatest quarterback controversy in league history. Young s quest both in football and in life was always more about grit than anything. His get it done mentality brought MVP awards and Super Bowl championships to San Francisco. Asan author, he gives readers the sense of being inside his helmet while he runs through opponents both on and off the field.
- Author BiographySTEVE YOUNGis regarded as one of the greatest college and pro football players of all time.After a stellar career at Brigham Young University, the left-handed quarterback played professionally for more than fifteen years in the NFL, primarily with the San Francisco 49ers. He received numerous accolades during his playing days, including being named Most Valuable Player of Super Bowl XXIX, Sports Illustratedand Sporting NewsPlayer of the Year from 1992 1994, and the NFL's Most Valuable Player for 1992 and 1994.In 2005, Young was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He is one of the top-rated quarterbacks in NFL history. These days, in addition to his ongoing on-air work with ESPN s Monday Night Football and his commitment to a number of charitable endeavors, Young is a managing director and cofounderof HGGC, a private equity fund based in San Francisco. As well as his undergraduate degree, Young also holds a law degree from BYU. He lives with his wife and family in Palo Alto.Jeff Benedictis an author, a special features writer forSports Illustrated, and a television and film producer. His feature stories and essays have appeared on the cover ofSports Illustratedand in the pages of theNew York TimesandLos Angeles Times, as well as been the basis for segments on60 Minutes, 20/20, 48 Hours, Good Morning America, and theDiscovery Channel. He is aNew York Timesbestselling author who has written fifteen books on topics ranging from violence against women to a deadly E. coli outbreak to the discovery of a 10,000-year-0ld skeleton in North America. Jeff s most recent book The System: The Glory and Scandal of Big-Time College Football is being developed into a television drama by Starz. Jeff is a producer and writer for the series. Jeff is also an executive producer on the forthcoming motion picture film Little Pink House, starring Catherine Keener and Jeanne Tripplehorn. The movie is based on Jeff s book by the same title.
- Author(s)Jeff Benedict,Steve Young
- PublisherHoughton Mifflin
- Date of Publication11/10/2016
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHoughton Mifflin
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine41 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.02Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
- AU $21.33Trending at AU $23.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.