All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis perceptive, lively study explores U.S. women's sport through historical points of change : particular products or trends that dramatically influenced both women's participation in sport and cultural responses to women athletes. Beginning with the seemingly incent ponytail, the subject of the Introduction, scholar Jaime Schultz challenges the reader to look at the historical and sociological significance of w-common items such as sports bras and tampons and ideas such as sex testing and competitive cheerleading. Tennis wear, tampons, and sports bras all facilitated women's participation in physical culture, while physical educators, the aesthetic fitness movement, and Title IX encouraged women to challenge (or confront) policy, financial, and cultural obstacles. While some of these points of change increased women's physical freedom and sporting participation, they also posed challenges. Tampons encouraged menstrual shame, sex testing (a tool never used with male athletes) perpetuated narrowly-defined cultural rms of femininity, and the late-twentieth-century aesthetic fitness movement fed into an unrealistic beauty ideal. Ultimately, Schultz finds that U.S. women's sport has progressed significantly but ambivalently. Although participation in sports is longer uncommon for girls and women, Schultz argues that these points of change have contributed to a complex matrix of gender differentiation that marks the female athletic body as different than--as less than--the male body, despite the advantages it may confer.
- Author BiographyJaime Schultz is an assistant professor of kinesiology and women's studies at Penn State University.
- Author(s)Jaime Schultz
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication20/02/2014
- SubjectGeneral Sport & Fitness Training
- Series TitleSport and Society
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note31 black and white photographs, 6 tables
- Weight590 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.