All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book examines the power relationships that organize and facilitate quality assurance in higher education. It investigates power in terms of macro systems of accountability, surveillance and regulation, and uncovers the ways in which quality is experienced by academics and managers in higher education. Louise Morley reveals some of the hidden transcripts behind quality assurance and poses significant questions: what signs of quality in higher education are being performed and valued? What losses, gains, fears and anxieties are activated by the procedures? and Is the culture of excellence resulting in mediocrity? Quality and Power in Higher Education covers a wide range of issues including: the policy contexts, new managerialism, the costs of quality assurance, collegiality, peer review, gender and equity implications, occupational stress, commodification and consumer values in higher education, performance, league tables, benchmarking, increasing workloads and the long-term effects on the academy. It draws upon Morley's empirical work in the UK on international studies and on literature from sociology, higher education studies, organization studies and feminist theory. It is important reading for students and scholars of higher education policy and practice, and for university managers and policy-makers.
- Author BiographyDr Louise Morley is Reader in Higher Education Studies at University of London Institute of Education, UK. She is Director of the Centre for Higher Education Studies (CHES). Her previous posts were at the University of Sussex, the University of Reading and the Inner London Education Authority. Her research and publication interests focus on quality, equity, gender, power and empowerment in higher education.
- Author(s)Louise Morley
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2003
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Series TitleSRHE
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Notereferences, index
- Weight368 g
- Width62 mm
- Height93 mm
- Spine5 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.67Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.42Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.