All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionToday anyone can purchase techlogy that can track, quantify, and measure the body and its environment. Wearable or portable sensors detect heart rates, glucose levels, steps taken, water quality, gemes, and microbiomes, and turn them into electronic data. Is this phemen empowering, or a new form of social control? Who volunteers to enumerate bodily experiences, and who is forced to do so? Who interprets the resulting data? How does all this affect the relationship between medical practice and self care, between scientific and lay kwledge? Quantified examines these and other issues that arise when biosensing techlogies become part of everyday life. The book offers a range of perspectives, with views from the social sciences, cultural studies, journalism, industry, and the nprofit world. The contributors consider data, personhood, and the urge to self-quantify; legal, commercial, and medical issues, including privacy, the outsourcing of medical advice, and self-tracking as a paraclinical practice; and technical concerns, including interoperability, sociotechnical calibration, alternative views of data, and new space for design. ContributorsMarc Bohlen, Geoffrey C. Bowker, Sophie Day, Anna de Paula Hanika, Deborah Estrin, Brittany Fiore-Gartland, Dana Greenfield, Judith Gregory, Mette Kragh-Furbo, Celia Lury, Adrian Mackenzie, Rajiv Mehta, Maggie Mort, Dawn Nafus, Gina Neff, Helen Nissenbaum, Heather Patterson, Celia Roberts, Jamie Sherman, Alex Taylor, Gary Wolf
- Author BiographyDawn Nafus is Senior Research Scientist at Intel Labs and the editor of Quantified: Biosensing Technologies in Everyday Life (MIT Press).
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication20/05/2016
- SubjectComputing: Professional & Programming
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note13 b&w illus., 2 tables
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byDawn Nafus
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $39.15
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $72.00Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.