All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is a detailed and comprehensive guide to undertaking quantitative health research at postgraduate and professional level. It takes you through the entire research process, from designing the project to presenting the results and will help you execute high quality quantitative research that improves and informs clinical practice. Written by a team of research experts, this book covers common practical problems such as applying theory to research and analysing data. It also includes chapters on communicating with ethics committees, recruiting samples from vulnerable populations, audit as a research approach, quasi-experimental designs and using cognitive interviewing, making it a new and invative offering for health researchers. Other topics covered in this book include: ethical considerations of research; designing and planning quantitative research projects; data measurement and collection; and analyzing and presenting results. With a strong practical focus, each chapter features examples of real-life research to illustrate the quantitative research process, as well as tips and insights into research planning and execution. This book is an essential guide for all health care professionals undertaking a postgraduate degree, as well as health researchers and practitioners who need to carry out research as part of their professional role. Contributors: Ruth Belling, Michelle Butler, Catherine Comiskey, Siobhan Corrigan, Gloria Crispi, Orla Dempsey, Suzanne Guerin, Maree Johnson, Carmel Kelly, Elaine Lehane, Maria Lohan, Susan McLaren, Deirdre Mongan, Corina Naughton, Rhona O'Connell, Elaine Pierce, Gary Rolfe, Eileen Savage, Anne Scott, Emma Stokes, Roger Watson. Learning quantitative research is taken much for granted. This is probably why there are fewer generic books on quantitative than qualitative research. This book is long overdue. Clearly- written and well structured, it takes us through the whole journey of a research project from developing 'research questions' to 'presenting the findings', passing through philosophical underpinnings, recruitment of participants and ethical considerations. Written by an array of well-kwn researchers and teachers, this book will certainly appeal to new as well as seasoned researchers. Those who will use it, will t be disappointed. (Kader Parahoo, University of Ulster). The title of this text is somewhat misleading. It is t only an excellent and thorough guide to qualitative health research methods; it is also an excellent introduction to all forms of qualitative research. It takes the reader gently through theoretical and ethical concerns to the practicalities and benefits of utilising qualitative approaches. As such it is that rare thing; a text that can be used by vice researchers to learn their craft, and a key reference resource for experienced research practitioners. (Dr. John Cullen, School of Business, National University of Ireland, Mayoth, UK). This is a first-rate collection of essays that promotes an informed understanding of both underpinning principles and widely used techniques. A great deal of effort has clearly been invested in co-ordinating the contributions, and this has delivered clarity, complementarity and effective coverage. This is a welcome, carefully-crafted and very accessible resource that will appeal to students and researchers in healthcare and beyond. (Martin Beirne, Professor of Management and Organizational Behaviour, University of Glasgow, Adam Smith Business School, UK).
- Author BiographyElizabeth A. Curtis is a lecturer in the School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Dublin, Trinity College Dublin (TCD). Jonathan Drennan is a Professor of Healthcare Research, at Southampton University, UK.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Curtis,Jonathan Drennan
- PublisherOpen University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2013
- SubjectMedicine: General
- Place of PublicationMilton Keynes
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintOpen University Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1 g
- Width67 mm
- Height95 mm
- Spine10 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.