Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective by V. Parameswaran Nair (Hardback, 2005)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $132.50Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by oodals
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $139.95+ AU $12.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQuantum field theory, which started with Paul Dirac's work shortly after the discovery of quantum mechanics, has produced an impressive and important array of results. Quantum electrodynamics, with its extremely accurate and well-tested predictions, and the standard model of electroweak and chromodynamic (nuclear) forces are examples of successful theories. Field theory has also been applied to a variety of phemena in condensed matter physics, including superconductivity, superfluidity and the quantum Hall effect. The concept of the rermalization group has given us a new perspective on field theory in general and on critical phemena in particular. At this stage, a strong case can be made that quantum field theory is the mathematical and intellectual framework for describing and understanding all physical phemena, except possibly for a quantum theory of gravity. Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective presents Professor Nair's view of certain topics in field theory loosely knit together as it grew out of courses on field theory and particle physics taught at Columbia University and the City College of CUNY. The first few chapters, up to Chapter 12, contain material that generally goes into any course on quantum field theory, although there are a few nuances of presentation which readers may find to be different from other books. This first part of the book can be used for a general course on field theory, omitting, perhaps, the last three sections in Chapter 3, the last two in Chapter 8 and sections 6 and 7 in Chapter 10. The remaining chapters cover some of the more modern developments over the last three decades, involving topological and geometrical features. The introduction given to the mathematical basis of this part of the discussion is necessarily brief and should be accompanied by books on the relevant mathematical topics as indicated in the bibliography. Professor Nair also concentrates on developments pertinent to a better understanding of the standard model. There is discussion of supersymmetry, supergravity, developments in field theory inspired by string theory, etc. There is also detailed discussion of the rermalization group. Each of these topics would require a book in its own right to do justice to the topic. Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective serves as a portal to so many more topics of detailed and ongoing research, referring readers to more detailed treatments for many specific topics. The book also contains extensive references, providing readers a more comprehensive perspective on the literature and the historical development of the subject. V. Parameswaran Nair is Professor of Physics at City College of The City University of New York (CUNY). Professor Nair has held Visiting Professorships at The Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, Rockefeller University, Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton, and Massachusetts Institute of Techlogy.
- Author BiographyV.P. Nair is currently a Professor of Physics at City College of New York. His area of specialization resides in Theoretical High Energy Physics. In addition to holding a position at City College, Mr. Nair has been an Associate Professor at Columbia University and was a member at the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of California, Santa Barbara. Other publications include Nonperturbative Anomalies in Higher Dimensions and Quantum Mechanics on the Noncommutative Plane and Sphere .
- Author(s)V. Parameswaran Nair
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication09/03/2005
- Series TitleGraduate Texts in Contemporary Physics
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note100 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight978 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $62.02New
- AU $5.82New
- AU $22.48New
- AU $33.47New
- AU $30.62New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $62.02
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.88
- AU $32.35Trending at AU $51.33
- AU $29.58Trending at AU $30.62
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $53.06
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.55
- AU $39.21Trending at AU $43.67
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.