All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe quantum theory of macroscopic systems is a vast, ever-developing area of science that serves to relate the properties of complex physical objects to those of their constituent particles. Its essential challenge is that of finding the conceptual structures needed for the description of the various states of organization of many-particle quantum systems. In this book, Geoffrey Sewell provides a new approach to the subject, based on a macrostatistical mechanics, which contrasts sharply with the standard microscopic treatments of many-body problems. Sewell begins by presenting the operator algebraic framework for the theory. He then undertakes a macrostatistical treatment of both equilibrium and nequilibrium thermodynamics, which yields a major new characterization of a complete set of thermodynamic variables and a nlinear generalization of the Onsager theory. The remainder of the book focuses on ordered and chaotic structures that arise in some key areas of condensed matter physics. This includes a general derivation of superconductive electrodynamics from the assumptions of off-diagonal long-range order, gauge covariance, and thermodynamic stability, which avoids the ermous complications of the microscopic treatments. Sewell also unveils a theoretical framework for phase transitions far from thermal equilibrium. Throughout, the mathematics is kept clear without sacrificing rigor. Representing a coherent approach to the vast problem of the emergence of macroscopic phemena from quantum mechanics, this well-written book is addressed to physicists, mathematicians, and other scientists interested in quantum theory, statistical physics, thermodynamics, and general questions of order and chaos.
- Author BiographyGeoffrey Sewell is Professor of Mathematical Physics at Queen Mary, University of London. His previous book, Quantum Theory of Collective Phenomena , is a classic in the field.
- Author(s)Geoffrey Sewell
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication29/07/2002
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note9 line illus.
- Weight571 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsWith printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.65Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.01Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.