Queen's University: Testing Tradition: Volume III: 1961-2004 by Duncan McDowall (Hardback, 2016)
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFounded in 1841 by a royal charter, Queen's University evolved into a national institution steeped in tradition and an abiding sense of public service. Propelled initially by its Presbyterian instincts and an attachment to Gaelic culture, Queen's has prospered and adapted over the years to match Canada's ever-changing dynamics. In this third volume of Queen's University's official history, Duncan McDowall demonstrates that the late twentieth century was a contest between expediency and tradition waged through crisis and careful evolution. Testing Tradition calibrates the durability of Queen's vaunted traditions in the face of shifts in the broader Canadian society. During this time of massive postsecondary expansion, Queen's grew sevenfold from a small, collegial campus of 3,100 students to a sprawling cosmopolitan place of more than 20,000 students from over 120 countries engaged in undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs. Measuring Queen's University's responses to concerns over social diversity, human rights, and gender equity through the eyes of its trustees, administrators, students, faculty, and the Kingston community, this volume pays particular attention to the experiences of women and visible mirities at the university. Copiously illustrated with photographs of important people, events, and aspects of campus life, this volume shows how Queen's, in having its traditions tested, has worked to retain the best of its past, while accepting the inevitability of change.
- Author BiographyDuncan McDowall is University Historian at Queen' s University and the author of The Sum of the Satisfactions: Canada in the Age of National Accounting.
- Author(s)Duncan McDowall
- PublisherMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Date of Publication30/06/2016
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationMontreal
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintMcGill-Queen's University Press
- Content Note130 photos
- Weight2268 g
- Width5499 mm
- Height7128 mm
- Spine41 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.