All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQueerness and Christianity, often depicted as mutually exclusive, both challenge received tions of the good and the natural. Nowhere is this challenge more visible than in the identities, faiths, and communities that queer Christians have long been creating. As Christians they have staked a claim for a Christianity that is true to their self-understandings. How do queer-identified persons understand their religious lives? And in what ways do the lived experiences of queer Christians respond to traditions and reshape them in contemporary practice? Queer Christianities integrates the perspectives of queer theory, religious studies, and Christian theology into a lively conversation-both transgressive and traditional-about the fundamental questions surrounding the lives of queer Christians. The volume contributes to the emerging scholarly discussion on queer religious experiences as lived both within communities of Christian confession, as well as outside of these established communities. Organized around traditional Christian states of life-celibacy, matrimony, and what is here provocatively conceptualized as promiscuity-this work reflects the ways in which queer Christians continually reconstruct and multiply the forms these states of life take. Queer Christianities challenges received ideas about sexuality and religion, yet remains true to Christian self-understandings that are open to further enquiry and to further queerness.
- Author BiographyKathleen T. Talvacchia is Associate Dean of Academic and Student Affairs at New York University Graduate School of Arts and Science. Mark Larrimore is Associate Professor of Religious Studies at Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts. Michael F. Pettinger is Assistant Professor in the Literary and Religious Studies programs at Eugene Lang College The New School for Liberal Arts.
- PublisherNew York University Press
- Date of Publication28/11/2014
- SubjectChristianity: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNew York University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight481 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byKathleen T. Talvacchia,Mark Larrimore,Michael F. Pettinger
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.66Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.93
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.