All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQueer Style offers an insight into queer fashionability by addressing the role that clothing has played in historical and contemporary lifestyles. From a fashion studies perspective, it examines the function of subcultural dress within queer communities and the mannerisms and messages that are used as signifiers of identity. Diverse dress is examined, including effeminate 'pansy,' masculine macho 'clone,' the 'lipstick' and 'butch' lesbian styles and the extreme styles of drag kings and drag queens. Divided into three main sections on history, subcultural identity and subcultural style, Queer Style will be of particular interest to students of dress and fashion as well as those coming to subculture from sociology and cultural studies.
- Author BiographyAdam Geczy is an artist and writer. He is Senior Lecturer at Sydney College of the Arts, Australia, and author of several books including (with Michael Carter) Reframing Art (Berg, 2005) and Art: Histories, Theories and Exceptions (Berg, 2008), a Choice Outstanding Academic Title, 2009. Vicki Karaminas is Associate Professor of Fashion Studies and Associate Head of the School of Design at the University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. She is the Executive Director and Chair of Fashion for the Popular Culture Association of Australia and New Zealand and the Chair for Subcultural Style and Identity for the Popular Culture and American Culture Associations. She is the editor of The Men's Fashion Reader (Berg, 2009), Fashion in Fiction (Berg, 2009) and The Australasian Journal of Popular Culture.
- Author(s)Adam Geczy,Vicki Karaminas
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication15/08/2013
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitleSubcultural Style
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerg Publishers
- Content Note19 bw illus
- Weight301 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine2 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.30New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $30.36New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.36
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.