All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionQueer Theory: Law, Culture, Empire uses queer theory to examine the complex interactions of law, culture, and empire. Building on recent work on empire, and taking contextual, socio-legal, comparative, and interdisciplinary approaches, it studies how activists and scholars engaged in queer theory projects can unwittingly advance imperial projects and how queer theory can itself show imperial ambitions. The authors - from five continents - delve into examples drawn from Bollywood cinema to California's 2008 marriage referendum. The chapters view a wide range of texts - from cultural productions to laws and judgments - as regulatory forces requiring scrutiny from outside Western, heterosexual privilege. This invative collection goes beyond earlier queer legal work, engaging with recent developments, featuring case studies from India, South Africa, the US, Australasia, Eastern Europe, and embracing the frames offered by different disciplinary lenses. Queer Theory: Law, Culture, Empire will be of particular interest to students and researchers in the fields of socio-legal studies, comparative law, law and gender/sexuality, and law and culture.
- Author BiographyRobert Leckey is Assistant Professor in the Faculty of Law at McGill University, where he teaches and researches in constitutional law, family law, and comparative law. He is the author of Contextual Subjects: Family, State, and Relational Theory (2008). Kim Brooks is Associate Professor and the H. Heward Stikeman Chair in the Law of Taxation in the Faculty of Law at McGill University. She is the editor of Justice Bertha Wilson: One Woman's Difference (2009).
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication11/05/2010
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byKim Brooks,Robert Leckey
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.73Trending at AU $22.02
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $11.63Trending at AU $21.86
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $30.37
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.