All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat impact do sexual politics and queer identities have on the understanding of blackness as a set of visual, cultural and intellectual concerns? In Queering Post-Black Art, Derek Conrad Murray argues that the rise of female, gay and lesbian artists as legitimate African-American creative voices is essential to the development of black art. He considers iconic works by artists including Glenn Ligon, Kehinde Wiley, Mickalene Thomas and Kalup Linzy, which question whether it is possible for blackness to evade its ideologically over-determined cultural legibility. In their own unique, often satirical way, a new generation of contemporary African American artists represent the ever-evolving sexual and gender politics that have come to define the highly controversial tion of post-black art. First coined in 2001, the term post-black resonated because it articulated the frustrations of young African-American artists around tions of identity and belonging that they perceived to be stifling, reductive and exclusionary. Since then, these artists have begun to conceive an idea of blackness that is beyond marginalization and sexual discrimination.
- Author BiographyDerek Conrad Murray is Associate Professor of History of Art and Visual Culture at the University of California, Santa Cruz and is one of the foremost experts on the subject of contemporary African-American art. He completed a Ph.D. in the Department of History of Art, Cornell University in 2005.
- Author(s)Derek Conrad Murray
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/10/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleInternational Library of Modern and Contemporary Art
- Series Part/Volume Number30
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note41 bw integrated, 8pp colour plates
- Weight318 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.