All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOriginally developed to help heterosexual couples, fertility treatments such as in vitro fertilization and sperm donation have provided lesbians with new methods for achieving pregnancy during the past two decades. Queering Reproduction is an important sociological analysis of lesbians' use of these medical fertility treatments. Drawing on in-depth interviews with lesbians who have been or are seeking to become pregnant, Laura Mamo describes how reproduction has become an intensely medicalized process for lesbians, who are transformed into fertility patients t (or t only) because of their physical conditions but because of their sexual identities. Mamo argues that this medicalization of reproduction has begun to shape queer subjectivities in both productive and troubling ways, destabilizing the assumed link between heterosexuality and parenthood while also reinforcing traditional, heterormative ideals about motherhood and the imperative to reproduce. Mamo provides an overview of a shift within some lesbian communities from low-tech methods of self-insemination to a reliance on outside medical intervention and fertility treatments. Reflecting on the issues facing lesbians who become parents through assisted reproductive techlogies, Mamo explores questions about the legal rights of co-parents, concerns about the genetic risks of choosing an anymous sperm dor, and the ways decisions to become parents affect sexual and political identities. In doing so, she investigates how lesbians navigate the medical system with its requisite range of fertility treatments, diagstic categories, and treatment trajectories. Combining moving narratives and insightful analysis, Queering Reproduction reveals how medical techlogy reconfigures social formations, individual subjectivity, and tions of kinship.
- Author BiographyLaura Mamo is Assistant Professor of Sociology and Affiliate Assistant Professor of Women's Studies and Lesbian and Gay Studies at the University of Maryland.
- Author(s)Laura Mamo
- PublisherDuke University Press
- Date of Publication03/09/2007
- SubjectGender Studies / Gay & Lesbian Studies
- Place of PublicationNorth Carolina
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDuke University Press
- Content Note6 illustrations, 5 tables, 1 figure
- Weight454 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.