All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIt's the 1980s in Lagos de More - a town where there are more cows than people, and more priests than cows - and a poor family is struggling to get by. The father, a school teacher, insists on practising and teaching the art of the insult, while the mother prepares hundreds of quesadillas to serve to their numerous progeny: Aristotle, Orestes, Archilochus, Callimachus, Electra, Castor and Pollux. The family witnesses a revolt against the Institutional Revolutionary Party and its umpteenth electoral fraud. This political upheaval is only the beginning of Orestes' adventures and his uproarious crusade against the boredom of rustic life and the tyranny of his older brother. In Quesadillas Juan Pablo Villalobos serves up a wild banquet. Chock-full of inseminated cows, Polish immigrants, parading pilgrims, alien spacecraft and psychedelic watermelons, almost anything goes in this madcap Mexican satire of politics and class.
- Author BiographyJuan Pablo Villalobos was born in Guadalajara, Mexico, in 1973. His first novel, Down the Rabbit Hole, was the first translation to be shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award (in 2011). He writes regularly for publications including Granta and translated Rodrigo de Souza Leao's novel All Dogs are Blue (also published by And Other Stories) into Spanish. His work has been translated into fifteen languages. He lives in Barcelona and has two children. Quesadillas is his second novel; his third will be published by And Other Stories in 2016. ------- Rosalind Harvey's translation of Down the Rabbit Hole was shortlisted for the Oxford-Weidenfeld Prize and the PEN translation prize as well as the Guardian First Book Award. Her co-translation of Dublinesque by Enrique Vila-Matas was shortlisted for the 2013 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize and longlisted for the 2014 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award. She is a founding member and chair of the Emerging Translators Network.
- Author(s)Juan Pablo Villalobos
- PublisherAnd Other Stories
- Date of Publication07/01/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationHigh Wycombe
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAnd Other Stories
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Translated byRosalind Harvey
- Introduction byNeel Mukherjee
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $31.92
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.62
- AU $69.95Trending at AU $77.80
- AU $14.99Trending at AU $19.01
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $59.41
- AU $21.75Trending at AU $24.79
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.