All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA one-of-a-kind text designed to launch readers into a thoughtful encounter with gender issues Rather than providing definitive answers about gender, this unique book exposes readers to new material that will lead them to question their assumptions. The author uses both historical and cross-cultural approaches - as well as a focus on intersectionality and transgender issues - to help students understand the socially constructed nature of gender. Debunking ideas of what is rmal and abrmal, this provocative book explores the core theories and topics of the course, including the gender of sexuality, the gender of friendship and dating, the gender of media and popular culture, and the gender of politics and power. Questioning Gender is essential reading for students of the sociology of gender in particular, and anyone exploring gender, sexuality and diversity across the social sciences more generally.
- Author BiographyRobyn Ryle is an associate professor of sociology at Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana, where she has been teaching sociology of gender and other courses for 7 years. She went to Millsaps College in Jackson, Mississippi, for her undergraduate degrees in sociology and English with a concentration in women's studies. She received her PhD in sociology from Indiana University-Bloomington and is originally from northern Kentucky. She is a member of the American Sociological Association and has served on the editorial board of the journal Teaching Sociology. She enjoys digging in her garden, cooking what comes out of her garden, and generally enjoying small town life. She currently lives in a 170-year-old house in scenic Madison, Indiana, with her husband, Jeff, stepdaughter Grace, and two rather peculiar cats. You can find her on Twitter (@robynryle), on the Facebook page for Questioning Gender (https://www.facebook.com/questioninggender?ref=hl), or at her blog: you-think-too-much.com.
- Author(s)Robyn Ryle
- PublisherSAGE Publications Inc
- Date of Publication03/04/2014
- SubjectSocial Sciences: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationThousand Oaks
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSAGE Publications Inc
- Out-of-print date28/10/2016
- Weight930 g
- Width187 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.13Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.