All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAvailable for the first time in English, the ten short stories by modern Korean women collected here touch in one way or ather on issues related to gender and kinship politics. All of the protagonists are women facing personal crises or defining moments in their lives as gender-marked beings in a Confucian, patriarchal Korean society. Their personal dreams and values have been compromised by gender expectations or their own illusions about female existence. They are compelled to ask themselves 'Who am I?' 'Where am I going?' 'What are my choices?' Each story bears colorful and compelling testimony to the life of the heroine. Some of the stories celebrate the central character's breakaway from the patriarchal order; others expose sexual inequality and highlight the struggle for personal automy and dignity. Still others reveal the abrupt awakening to mid-life crises and the seasoned wisdom that comes with accepting the limits of old age. The stories are arranged in chrological order, from the earliest work by Korea's first modern woman writer in 1917 to stories that appeared in 1995 - approximately one from each decade. Most of the writers presented are recognized literary figures, but some are lesser-kwn voices. The introduction presents a historical overview of traditions of modern Korean women's fiction, situating the selected writers and their stories in the larger context of Korean literature. Each story is accompanied by a biographical te on the author and a brief critical analysis. A selected bibliography is provided for further reading and research.
- Author BiographyYung-Hee Kim is professor of Korean literature in the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, University of Hawai'i.
- Author(s)Yung-Hee Kim
- PublisherUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Series TitleHawaii Studies on Korea
- Place of PublicationHonolulu, HI
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Hawai'i Press
- Content Note10 illustrations
- Weight531 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine20 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.25
- AU $23.66Trending at AU $33.42
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.18
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $20.58
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.14
- AU $47.56Trending at AU $49.65
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.