All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionChallenging the modern day assumption of a mind-independent world populated with separate entities, this book regards the universe as an interconnected whole from which we construct simplified patterns to aid our survival. Consistent with this fundamental perspective, time itself is described as one such man-made construction. The true nature of time remains one of the fascinating mysteries of modern philosophy. This book provides unique insight into time as an interconnected mixture of subjective, social and psychologically personal characteristics. Questions About Time contributes to the philosophy of time in three primary ways. For those who conclude that time is t real, this book provides a clear, consistent model for supporting that conclusion. In contrast, those who view time as a real entity will value the clearly articulated assumptions underlying the n-real case. The explicit list of assumptions provides, in one place, specific premises subject to attack in any quest opposing the n-real position. Furthermore, the book provides a representative list of 570 time-related questions that adequate views of time, real or t, are expected to answer. The detailed questions invite short, concise and consistent replies, which are supplied for the presented models as a demonstration of their use.
- Author BiographyRichard A. Burbank holds degrees in engineering from Lowell Technological Institute (B.S.) and the University of Massachusetts at Amherst (M.S. and PhD.) He achieved professional status as a musician, teacher, and research associate before joining E.I. DuPont. His career in DuPont included R&D, operations, and several advancing levels of international management including Asia-Pacific Business Director and President of a joint-venture Japanese company. He and his wife Kathleen lived in Tokyo for 5 years before returning to the USA and retiring in central Virginia. They are proud parents of three daughters and five grandchildren. Current interests include music, art, and philosophy. In music, he plays established melodies with creative improvisations. In art, he paints watercolors featuring his own, unique, mosaic-style technique. In 2007 Burbank published an original system of logic based on triadic structures: Three Term Logic. The common theme in his music, painting, logic and philosophical texts is the extension beyond the dyadic true-or-false and right-or-wrong thinking habitually taken for granted in Western cultures.
- Author(s)Richard A Burbank
- Date of Publication19/08/2011
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Illustrator(s)Richard A Burbank
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.