All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTradition is a central concern for a wide range of academic disciplines interested in problems of transmitting culture across generations. Yet, the concept itself has received remarkably little analysis. A substantial literature has grown up around the tion of 'invented tradition,' but clear concept of tradition is to be found in these writings; since the very tion of 'invented tradition' presupposes a prior concept of tradition and is empty without one, this debunking usage has done as much to obscure the idea as to clarify it. In the absence of a shared concept, the various disciplines have created their own vocabularies to address the subject. Useful as they are, these specialized vocabularies (of which the best kwn include hybridity, canicity, diaspora, paradigm, and contact zones) separate the disciplines and therefore necessarily create only a collection of parochial and disjointed approaches. Until w, there has been concerted attempt to put the various disciplines in conversation with one ather around the problem of tradition. Combining discussions of the idea of tradition by major scholars from a variety of disciplines with syptic, synthesizing essays, Questions of Tradition will initiate a renewal of interest in this vital subject.
- Author BiographyMark Salber Phillips is a professor in the Department of History at Carleton University. Gordon Schochet is a professor in the Department of Political Science at Rutgers University.
- PublisherUniversity of Toronto Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2004
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Place of PublicationToronto
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintUniversity of Toronto Press
- Content Note9 illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width157 mm
- Height236 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byGordon Schochet,Mark Salber Phillips
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.55Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.