All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionR.U.R.--written in 1920, premiered in Prague in 1921, and first performed in New York in 1922--garnered worldwide acclaim for its author and popularized the word robot. Mass-produced as efficient laborers to serve man, Capek's Robots are an android product--they remember everything but think of nothing new. But the Utopian life they provide ultimately lacks meaning, and the humans they serve stop reproducing. When the Robots revolt, killing all but one of their masters, they must strain to learn the secret of self-duplication. It is not until two Robots fall in love and are christened Adam and Eve by the last surviving human that Nature emerges triumphant.
- Author BiographyKarel Capek (1890 1938) was the leading Czech playwright, novelist, and columnist between the wars. He is best known for R. U. R. and his novel, War with the Newts. Ivan Klima is an award-winning novelist, playwright, and essayist whose work was long suppressed under Communism.
- Author(s)Claudia Novack,Karel eCapek
- PublisherPenguin Putnam Inc
- Date of Publication01/06/2004
- SubjectOther Performing Arts
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPenguin USA
- Out-of-print date30/01/2010
- Weight91 g
- Width127 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.85Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.