All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.17
- AU $32.60Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $25.61
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.78
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $16.54
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $29.53
- AU $19.92Trending at AU $27.62
About this product
- DescriptionThis ambitious philosophical anthology combines analyses and surveys of contemporary theorizing on social identity.The editors redirect classic philosophical questions about personal identity to the categories of race, class, gender and sexuality. Readings consist of scholarly, popular, autobiographical and literary writings that engage issues in racial theory, social and political philosophy and feminism. A fifth part of the book on intersection illustrates the conceptual problems with essentialism and the taxomy of identity politics. The importance of narrative accounts of social life within these significant identity categories is emphasized throughout the volume.
- Author BiographyNaomi Zack is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the State University of New York at Albany. She is the author of Race and Mixed Race (1993), Bachelors of Science: Seventeenth Century Identity Then and Now (1996), Thinking About Race (1998). She is the Editor of American Mixed Race: The Culture of Microdiversity (1995) and Race/Sex: Their Sameness, Difference, and Interplay (1997). Laurie Shrage is Professor and Department Chair of Philosophy at California State Polytechmic University, Pomona. She is the author of Moral Dilemmas of Feminism: Prostitution, Adultery, and Abortion (1994).Crispin Sartwell is Associate Professor of Humanities at Pennsylvania State University, Capital College. He is the author of The Art of Living: Aesthetics of the Ordinary in World Spiritual Traditions (1995), Obscenity, Anarchy, Reality (1996), and Act Like You Know: African-American Autobiography and White Identity.
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication01/10/1998
- Series TitlePhilosophy: The Big Questions
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBlackwell Publishers
- Content Note0
- Weight754 g
- Width173 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine31 mm
- Edited byCrispin Sartwell,Laurie J. Shrage,Naomi Zack
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.